Why is humility so important? What does humility have to do with shame? Many of us understand that humility is desirable, yet it may seem like a nebulous or vapid concept. Actually, humility is a requirement for overcoming shame and finding peace. This course is an opportunity to understand how shame drives pride, and how to apply humility to overcome shame. As you take a close look inside yourself, you’ll be enabled to find your shame and begin to heal it. Looking for pride is yet another way to find shame.
Pride involves a distortion of realitya false understanding of self and others. It would have us believe that we do not need others, that we are better than others, etc. Pride has been around as long as there have been people, and everybody must experience it. Feelings of pride are not badthey are human; left unchecked, however, they drive us to behave in destructive ways. Paradoxically, pride is a teacher of humility for those willing to humble themselves.
Pride is an emotional reaction to fear, shame, insecurities, faulty core beliefs, sadness, grief, or other confusion or emotional pain. When we understand what pride is and why it shows up in our lives, we gain the understanding to deal with it in very constructive and uplifting ways. We can use our pride as an alert to help us humble ourselves. The process of moving from pride to humility is a tremendously rewarding one, resulting is wisdom and peace.
This course includes:
- 6 video segments:
- Humility (4:57 LDS / 4:30 Non-Denominational)
- Humility Examples (4:44)
- Pride (5:23)
- Characteristics & Effects of Pride (5:11 LDS / 3:56 Non-Denominational)
- The Power of Choice (3:48)
- Conclusion (2:11 LDS / 1:05 Non-Denominational)
- Total video run-time: approx. 25 minutes
- Written homework activities
In this course, you’ll learn:
- What humility is, and why it is necessary for healing shame
- Where pride comes from
- How shame drives pride
- Why pride distorts our perceptions of reality
- The characteristics of pride how it looks and behaves. This will help you identify it in yourself
- Why pride is destructive
- How to respond to pride and move into humility
- The role of choice in humility