Shame tells us all types of lies. When we internalize shame’s messages, we develop a system of false beliefs about our identities. We might believe we are not enough, or that we are perfect. We may internalize a belief that our needs don’t matter, or that others’ needs don’t matter. Whenever we consistently believe lies about our souls, we establish Faulty Core Beliefs. These beliefs give shame life by driving us to addictions and other self-destructive behaviors. They produce a cycle that traps us in bad decisions and unconsciousness. When we become awake to our Faulty Core Beliefs, we can challenge them until they no longer have power over us. When we do so, we grow in emotional and spiritual power & ability, and in love for self and others.
This course includes:
- 5 video segments:
- Introduction Shame & Faulty Core Beliefs
- Emotional Abandonment
- When Shame Begins Deep Roots, Thick Walls
- Categories of Faulty Core Beliefs
- Faulty Core Beliefs Cycle
- Total lecture video run-time: approx. 35 minutes
- Role-Play: Faulty Core Beliefs – “Mr. Sorry”
- Written homework activities
In this course, you’ll learn:
- Where Faulty Core Beliefs come from & how shame drives them.
- Why shame affects us and how powerful its influence is in our lives, even as mature adults. It begins virtually at birth, and quietly grows whenever we aren’t being emotionally or spiritually honest with ourselves or others.
- The profound and subtle ways our belief systems can become intoxicated by shame, and what we must do to correct our beliefs
- Faulty Core Beliefs can be broken into four categories: intra-personal beliefs, interpersonal beliefs, false beliefs about my needs, and addictions. Shame motivates us to believe lies and deception about ourselves and others in all of the preceding categories, and those beliefs drive addictions and other self-destructive behaviors.
- The cycle that Faulty Core Beliefs drive: having Faulty Core Beliefs leads to making destructive decisions, which leads to feeling remorse for the choices. Afterwards, we often allow shame to lie to us about our guilt / remorse, and tell us we are permanently defective because of our choices. This reinforces our Faulty Core Beliefs and the cycle repeats.
- How to get out of the vicious cycle.